Emergency Assistance Guidelines: Financial Support for Rent or Utilities

To request assistance, please email EA@ccda.net. Once you send an email you will receive a screening questionnaire which must be completed entirely in order to receive a response.

Download this document (PDF)

Catholic Charities’ (CCDA) Emergency Assistance program helps people experiencing a temporary financial crisis with rent and/or utility assistance and there is a likelihood that this crisis will not repeat. We work to prevent evictions or the termination of essential utilities. Catholic Charities views an emergency as a crisis that deprives or threatens to deprive a person of basic human needs. Basic human needs include but are not limited to housing, essential utilities (i.e., gas, water, electric, oil for heating). Catholic Charities serves residents of the Diocese of Arlington regardless of their race, creed, religion, or national origin.

The Counties and Cities of the Diocese include: Arlington County, City of Alexandria, City of Falls Church, City of Fredericksburg, City of Manassas, City of Manassas Park, Fairfax County, Prince William County, Spotsylvania County, Stafford County, King George County, Lancaster County, Northumberland County, Richmond County, Westmoreland County, City of Winchester, Clarke County, Culpeper, Fauquier County, Frederick County, Loudoun County, Madison County, Orange County, Page County, Rappahannock County, Shenandoah County and Warren County.


Eligible clients may receive Emergency Assistance once in a 12-month period and up to two times in a 10-year period. To be eligible, the client must be seeking late rent or past due utility (gas, water, electric or propane with an invoice for refilling the tank) assistance. Client must sign the Emergency Assistance Guidelines, Client Rights and Responsibilities and Consent to Exchange Information forms within 24 hours to start the process. If these documents are not received within 24 hours, your application will be automatically closed and client will need to reapply. Must be able to communicate via email and phone for the appointment with the Case Manager. Your photo ID and your late/disconnect notice must be attached for the forms to validate. IMPORTANT: Your printed name and signature must match the name on your photo ID.

We regret that we cannot help if you are living in Section 8 Housing, public housing, or subsidized housing of any type (this does not include Affordable Dwelling Unit housing). The client cannot be subleasing, living with the landlord or renting from a relative. We do not assist with mortgage payments, but we do assist with utility payments for mortgages and mobile homes.

The demand for our services is extremely high and we have limited funds, so assistance is given on a first-come, first-served basis. A current copy of all documents and a signature acknowledgement of Catholic Charities forms are required within three days from initial contact, or the client must re-apply for assistance. *Note: The Case Manager may request additional documents not included in the list below. In addition, should the Case Manager determine that there are irregularities in the client documents, they may request an in-person interview with the client, at the CCDA office.

Rental Assistance for Non-Subsidized Housing

For rental assistance: proof of income is required and must be enough to maintain the current monthly housing rent. Proof of income can include one or all of the following: two current pay stubs, a current benefits statement or proof of bank statement deposits for: court-ordered child support, pension, disability, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Worker's Compensation, Unemployment Compensation, and TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families).

We will not accept Venmo, Cash App or Pay Pal statements as proof of income. An employment offer letter is not acceptable proof of income. For employers such as Uber, Lyft and/or Instacart, a statement of earnings must be provided by the employer. We are unable to assist self-employed individuals including those employed by spouse or the family business. Those employed as landscape, house cleaning and childcare/eldercare providers must provide 3 months of current bank statements with consistent deposits and copies of deposited checks. We will not accept cash deposits. 

  • Photo ID - current (not expired), government-issued for each leaseholder.
  • Photo ID - current (not expired), government-issued for private landlords.
  • Signed Lease Agreement – written lease in client’s name to include terms of lease clearly specified (i.e., leaseholder name/address, landlord name, monthly rent amount, etc.).
  • Rental Ledger – provided by the property manager or Landlord showing payments made AND the current balance. *If the balance due is above the amount to be eligible, clients should pay a portion of the bill and show pledge letters from other organizations and/or churches (on letterhead), or money orders to cover the difference. The Case Manager will verify pledges and Catholic Charities is the last payer on the bill. 
  • 5-day pay or quit, or eviction notice (unlawful detainer) in their name. 
  • Current IRS W-9 Tax Form (Virginia W-9 is acceptable) – completed by the Landlord with signature not older than 1 year and a contact phone number and email. 
  • Private Landlord must show proof of property ownership such as a Deed or Mortgage Statement in their name and they must sign a "Private Landlord Verification and Document Request" form. 
  • Assistance is provided for a room or basement when the Landlord owns the property. The client cannot be subleasing or renting from a relative. 
  • Assistance is provided for a mobile home rental or mobile home lot rent, but the client cannot be subleasing, living with the landlord or renting from a relative.

Utility Assistance (Only Electric, Gas, Water and Propane are considered)

Proof of income (see rental assistance above).  

  • Photo ID – current (not expired), government-issued of the person responsible for the utility.
  • Signed Lease Agreement or Mortgage Statement – in the client’s name and to include terms of lease (i.e., leaseholder name/address, landlord name, monthly rent amount, etc.). Assistance is not provided to anyone who is sub-leasing or renting from a relative. *We assist with utilities for mortgages and mobile homes, but proof of ownership must be provided.
  • Past Due Bill – When there is more than one person’s name on the bill, all must provide a copy of their photo ID. *If the current balance listed is not at the required amount to be eligible, they should pay a portion of the bill and provide pledge letters from other organizations and/or churches (on letterhead), or money orders to cover the difference. The Case Manager will verify pledges and Catholic Charities is the last payer on the bill. 

Download this document (PDF)