4650 Taney Avenue,
Alexandria, VA 22304
703-751-2766; Fax: 703- 212-7306
WHO WE ARE
St. Martin de Porres Senior Center is a multipurpose program providing a variety of services to prevent isolation of seniors and promote their wellness, happiness, and independence.
At the Center, we provide congregate meals and a wide variety of health, exercise, social, recreational, educational, and entertainment activities, as well as field trips.
Nutritious breakfasts and lunches are served daily.
The Division of Aging and Adult Services provides door to door bus transportation for seniors who live in the West End of Alexandria.
Health & Wellness, Recreational, and Educational Activities:
Zumba, strength and balance, and other exercise classes or videos are provided daily. Health screenings and information presentations are done with the help of volunteer physicians and nurses. Our services are often team efforts with the local community.
Educational and recreational activities include English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, computer skills training, community presentations, reminiscence and discussion groups, games, professional entertainers, movies, and holiday parties.
Field trips are provided to museums, parks, theaters, entertainment centers, restaurants, and other places of interest to our seniors.
Our staff assists Center participants and reaches outward to answer the needs of seniors throughout the diocese regarding services provided by other agencies in the areas of physical and mental health, home care and long-term care management, consultation, transportation, housing, financial and legal matters, employment, and social services.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
There is no fee to participate in the Center activities or to receive information and referral assistance.
A person must be 60 years of age or older, independent, and residing within the City of Alexandria.
A State of Virginia intake form must be completed.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Center is open: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 1:30 PM
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
DIRECTIONS TO CENTER
St. Martin's is located at 4650 Taney Avenue, Alexandria. Take Seminary Road to North Jordan and then make a right onto Taney Avenue. Or take Duke Street to North Jordan and then make a left onto Taney Avenue. The center is across the street from Patrick Henry Elementary School.
Accesible via Metro Bus Route 25B.
Center phones: 703-751-2766; fax 703-212-7306
- Receptionists: St. Martin de Porres is looking for a smiling face and friendly phone voice to staff our reception desk any day of the week from 8 a.m. to 1:30pm, lovingly greet our seniors each morning and assist them with signing in, making reservations, and getting name tags. Contact Kathryn Toohey at 703-751-2766 or email@example.com
- Acitivities Assistant Do you like being with seniors and having fun?! We are looking for a volunteer to help with activities any day of the week from 10:00am to 1:30pm. Days and hours flexible.
- Certified Exercise Instructors Calling all workout enthusiasts to the center! We are looking for paid staff and volunteers to teach exercise classes in your field of expertise. Come work out with us!
- ESL Instructors Teach English to immigrant seniors and help them more fully integrate into our society. Second language not required. Free training provided. Come volunteer for one hour per week or more.
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington operates St. Martinís with the help of the City of Alexandria, the Federal Older Americans Act, America's Charities, private donations, and participant donations.
- Arlington Diocese and links to parishes
- Catholic Charities main website
- Catholic Charities Emergency Assistance: 703-548-4227
- City of Alexandria Agency on Aging: 703-746-5700
- Arlington County Agency on Aging: 703-228-1700
- Fairfax County Agency on Aging: 703-324-5411
Legal Services of Northern Virginia: 703-778-6800
- Alexandria Senior Taxi: 703-836-4414
- Alexandria DOT Transportation: 703-746-4079
- Alexandria Meals-On-Wheels: 703-836-4414
- A variety of useful information for seniors: www.seniornavigator.com